Friday, June 6, 2008

SC State Songs

A certain sadly displaced South Carolinian I knew back in the late seventies used to sing the James Taylor song "Country Road" with the lyrics slightly altered: "Country road take me home, to the place I belong! Back to Charleston, South Carolina, oh country road take me home." Homesick Sandlpappers today can mournfully croon "South Carolina On My Mind." As a matter of fact you might want to practice along with the YouTube video a few times, so you have it all ready to go for just the right occasion!



"[I]n 1984 our State Legislature passed a resolution making South Carolina on My Mind our second state song, declaring that it had "penetrated the hearts of countless numbers of Americans and ... as a direct result of their exposure to the song, many of them now have 'South Carolina on Their Mind.'" Hank and Buzz then found themselves performing for the General Assembly.

For whatever reason, this important song has suffered relative anonymity for the past two decades. It's been pretty much impossible to find ... until now! SCIway is proud to be able to reintroduce South Carolina on My Mind to our readers, or listeners as the case may be!"
For the full SCIway Newsletter article: http://www.sciway.net/sn/56.html#3

No comments: